The write stuff

Pardon the delay.
I was salmon fishing (and thus got up at 2:50 a.m.).
(I caught one fish, but it was a doozy. It went four feet long and more than 40 pounds.)

Anyway...

The discussion began Saturday night - late - about me, my writing and talent.
"I'm telling you, we all decided that you were really good. And I hope you don't mind, but I told them about your blog.
"But, what are you going to do with it?"
And you feel like a superhero that has this really great skill - but refuses to use it.

I like my job. I'm good at it. The pay? Well, it leaves something to be desired.
But they leave me alone to fish and hike and hunt. I mean, I basically get paid to fuck around - and write about it.

And now, in the past three days, I've been asked "What's next?" "What are you going to do with it?" and "So, when are you leaving?"
Interestingly enough, I do have a decision to make. There's a larger newspaper in Washington that's looking for a features reporter:

"Ideal candidate will be naturally curious about the human condition, will be undaunted by tackling difficult and varied subjects, will be devoted to continually exploring the community with an eye to uncovering the extraordinary in the ordinary.
"Position is responsible for contributing both project-level feature stories and quick hits developed under deadline pressure. The writer needs to be comfortable writing in the narrative style and tackling projects that involve investigative reporting."

Sounds like fun.
And the other plus is, their Outdoors writer is in his 60s, and is talking about retirement.
And the paper is across the river from Portland, my favorite city on the West Coast.

So, do I put in a packet?
Or do I stay in Redding, do my thing, and continue to (maybe) squander my potential as a writer?
I've got some things to think over.

Comments

TheRobRogers said…
Across the river as in Vancouver, Wash.? I've got a few compatriates there from Roseburg, Ore. Or I did, once upon a time.

The way things are looking around here, it might not be a bad idea. On the other hand, you've got yourself a pretty good gig here.
Anonymous said…
Go for it Tom, it beautiful up there. You are to good of a writer to waste you time at the RS.
Anonymous said…
As much as I (and all of your other local friends) would miss having you around, that sounds like a cool gig... and great potential for growth in your writing. Sometimes you've got to do things for yourself. If your gut tells you to, I'd say pursue it.
Anonymous said…
Seems to me you really don't have a choice, until you put yourself out there and let them know you are available, then when they want you. Then, you have the choice. To sit on the fence and wonder, well, that is just causing undo stress. I say open to the possibility of the "what if" and see where this takes you!
Very wise, Anon. I've decided to apply - and see exactly where that journey takes me. It may lead me right back to where I am, and that's very cool. Or it may lead to a whole new adventure.

Popular Posts