The good and the evil

It isn't your classic struggle between good and evil.
There are no sides, no good guys in white hats battling bad guys in black.
I'm not so sure there are even sides.
I just feel torn.
In two.

I tried to explain it and did a horrible job.
"Ever felt like control of your soul was being waged by two forces - one good and one evil?"
She did, but tried a different analogy.
"Is it a struggle between your good side and your malevolent side? I mean, everyone has a dark side."
Slipping into the darkness is what I fear.

No, I don't plan a crime spree. I don't plan on going on a bender or for the first time in my life be open to tasting illicit drugs. I just feel like being bad.
Maybe malevolence is right.
Still, I'm too much of a goodie-goodie to really do anything Merry Pranksterish.
Oh, I have ideas. I always have ideas.
Then I stop to think how I can help this person, or that person or take a call from someone in crisis and render help - or just listen.
Because that is what I do.

But the darkness is out there.
Waiting.
"Dip a toe in. You'll like it."
But I won't.
Just recognizing the darkness there is thrill enough.
(Look, but don't touch.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I might have a malevolent, but I think harmless overall, little job for you. It might be just enough to fix your jones for being bad, but without too many nasty consequences.
Anonymous said…
demons dance in your head, is it the idea that you dread
that your thoughts take you to a place
that doesn't fit your idea of grace,
know this fight is yours to take,
it matters not which choice you make,
for you can suffer and make the journey hard,
or you can surrender and realize it's just as difficult!!!

Popular Posts