My two left feet

"How long are you going to be like this?"
"Bout a week."
"I don't know why you feel so bad, you did great."

My partner and I were the second couple eliminated during Saturday's charity dance competition. As in two couples had to go, while four couples went onto the finals.
Our waltz was great. Very smooth. Other than one small misstep (mine), it was clean.
It wasn't enough to get up into the second round.
Right or wrong, people had to vote for their favorite couples. Tickets were $10 a strand. I was told later that the first round of voting was very close.
But two couples still had to go.
And we still had to perform our swing number.
(Which I thought was a disaster; everyone else said it was wonderful. I admit, I was pissed having been voted out, and my concentration was, shall we say, lacking.)

Hours later and I still feel bad. In a total funk.
And I know I have no reason to be there.
I had eight days to learn two dance routines (and maintain my life at home and at work).
Then, I had to perform both numbers on stage in front of a crowd of more than 500 people.
Best thing is, we raised a shitload of money for kids.
That, I feel great about.
But here's the deal: I hate to lose.
I'm not sure where the other emotion is coming from. The part that has me feeling so blue. And that's the confusing part.
Instead of being happy for just performing, I'm trying to figure out how I could have been better. And that is a stupid place to be.

I'm sure, as the day goes on and my life gets back to bike rides and hiking trails, I will look fondly on the memory of the evening spent dancing.
I do, after all, have a new skill set.
I can dance.

Comments

Christy Lochrie said…
I was wondering how you did, TG. You stepped out of a comfort zone, entertained folks and raised bucks for charity. I'd say there's lots to be proud of on your part. Rock on, TG, the Pimp Daddy of the dance floor.

Ciao.

Christy
TheRobRogers said…
Buck up, little camper. Christy's right, you did some good and you got out of your comfort zone. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

Popular Posts