Strictly ballroom

The music was fast, scandalous. The dance it spawned – when people listened, there was no way you could not help but move – was even more shocking.
As people who danced it looked for contact. Craved it.
Sounds a little like the punk movement, huh?
Try the 1800s – and the Viennese waltz.
Of course, the dance was way too hot for the rest of the world; but the music, you couldn’t help yourself. So the British added things. So did the Americans.
And that’s what I have begun to learn – the American waltz.
Think Fred Astaire, Ginger Rodgers.
It’s not as bad as you’d think.
I’ve got two weeks to learn the waltz and a swing routine. For a benefit dance on July 14 that will help youth in my community.
A Dancing with the Stars kinda thing.
I’m not half-bad.
When compared to the others.
“You’ve got this on your iPod,” one of the other dancers asked me about the waltz music we stumbled around to.
“Oh, filled.”
I have no dance experience, save for what I picked up at high school dances, concerts and a few mosh pits.
(The mosh pit thing delights the rest of the "celebrities" by the way; they wouldn't know the Angry Samoans from NOFX and I think I scare them with what I might be capable of.)
At least my partner is a Professional Dancer.
My goal when first approached was to just get by.
Now, I want to win.
I downloaded waltz music this morning; I practiced.
For a minute after dance practice Monday night, with ice on my knee, ice in a glass of vodka and a few ibuprophens onboard, I considered going the other route; drop acid right before the show. I’ve never dropped acid, so I maybe could go skitzo.
Probably not the best thing for youth to see.
So, I’ll dance.
The waltz. The swing.
And make the best of it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I might just have to come see this thing...if you DON'T drop acid. If you do, I won't have to admit that I know you if I'm not there to witness the complete chaos.

That being said, you'll be great!
Anonymous said…
MMMM... sweet LDS and waltzing. =] That would be pretty damn funny.

Popular Posts