Gonna need a ruling

Part of my 43 Things is to read 12 books outside my "normal comfort range."
I'm interested in a lot of things (my bookshelf holds everything from easy fiction from Crichon and King to titles like "Guns, Germs and Steel" to "A Natural History of the Senses"), but I was looking to expand on even that.
First, I read Panamahansa Yogananda's "Autobigraphy of a Yogi." Very interesting (but a bit dry).
I just finished Gail Tsukiyama's "The Samurai's Garden," which was fantastic.
"Sophie's World" is going to take me at least another month to get through - not because it's awful, but because it is so engrossing, there's no way to speed-read through it.
So I'm on the lookout for 10 more books outside my "comfort range."
Here's where I need a ruling:
There are two books on by bookshelf that I've started several times - but just can't get into. The first is "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" by Michael Chabon. I know, I know, people love it (it's become my former roommate's most-favorite book ever).
The second is "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel.
By "forcing" myself to read these two novels - critically acclaimed as they are - do they count toward my 43 Things?
I welcome your thoughts.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The Life of Pi, come on man, adrift in a boat with a tiger. Sometimes you can apply this to real life situations. My vote is for Pi and you will learn from it's reading!
Anonymous said…
The fact you've started them both several times but can't into them suggests they are out of your comfort zone. Plus, they are already on your bookshelf: if not now, when? In my judgement, they count toward the 12. Happy reading!
TheRobRogers said…
I still haven't been able to get through "Life of Pi." So good luck with that.

Popular Posts