Wednesday's Three Word Wednesday

The word prompts over at Three word Wednesday are callous, interfere and persistent.

Twist, A Love Story
She stands outside the arc of light thrown by a lone streetlamp, vaguely aware of the muffled music that’s trying desperately to break from the brick facade of the dingy club.
She rests a spiked heel on the brick, flips open the hardbox pack of cigarettes, selects one. The Zippo lighter explodes into flame, illuminates for an instant her face as the end of the cigarette catches.
Dark eye makeup the color of bruised plums. White face powder. Lipstick like wet cherries.
Smoke curls around her face and shrouds the cold and callous looks she gives to anyone who passes.
She is a warning sign, like dangerous curves ahead, and still men are persistent at the bar. They walk up, cavalier, offer to buy her drinks, lean in to talk to her tits, not her.
“No thanks,” she’d say coolly, turning to pick up her vodka and cranberry.
“Dike,” they’d say, dejected like scolded puppies, tails between their legs.
Tonight, the hits were an assembly line of monotony.
The only escape was out the metal doors and onto the cracked sidewalk. There she could breath, relax.
And from the shadows, a giggle. Then a whisper, faint, in a voice she immediately recognized.
“What took you so long?”
“I didn’t want to interfere,” she called from the darkness. “Besides, I knew you could hold your own against all those horny little boys. Buy you a drink?”
“I’d love one, thanks.”

Comments

anthonynorth said…
Nicely done. And doesn't it build up confidence?
Anonymous said…
I guess you never can really tell, if they don't want you too - clever twist to the story!

The NaisaiKu.. Challenge!
quin browne said…
the facial description was divine
Ofira Sephiroth said…
Great imagery.
Amarettogirl said…
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this - you're truly an amazing writer!! ever since I've rejoined 3ww - yours are some of the best posts that really intrigue me and get me all wrapped up in the story - 'cherry lips!!!!' and the we went full story arc in so little time! YAY!!! thanks for making 3ww what it is and putting smiles on our faces!
Jeeves said…
Cherry lips etc., I liked the imagery here
Tumblewords: said…
Great twist - hadn't a clue - excellent writing and movement.
TC said…
You definitely got me at the end.
Anonymous said…
Your writing is very descriptive, the way I like it. I felt as if I am there watching from a corner.
Great work :)
Tammy Brierly said…
Wonderful imagery here and I felt bad for the guys. Rejection stinks. lol
jjdebenedictis said…
Ooh, I love this! Great descriptions and an intriguing open ending.
Anonymous said…
Nicely done, but I don't feel sorry for the guys at all, since they "talk to her tits, not her." Objectification sucks, although it never tempted me to switch teams.
Sherri B. said…
You are brilliant at this...it flows to perfection!
Anonymous said…
Excellent work!!!

Popular Posts