Wednesday's Three Word Wednesday

The word prompts over at Three Word Wednesday are awry, blame and hiatus. A haiku and a flash fiction piece that are related, kinda. You lucky devils.

When things go awry,
and blame rests squarely on you,
take a hiatus

Watch Out for the Quiet Ones
Fitzsimmons’ life went awry at 7:18 a.m.; he now contemplated that life on the No. 5 express as it rumbled down the Van Wyck Expressway.
Prim, if not considered prissy, Fitzsimmons wore round horned-rimmed glasses that he felt matched both his shoes and his belt. The leather messenger bag, he thought, showed his impish nature.
Accountants like Fitzsimmons don’t rumble on the wild side. He knew what people thought. There would be no surprises left, no bedside boxes that contained handcuffs, rubber products, amyl nitrate, various lubes and lotions. There was no wild drinking binges, no gambling addictions for people to discover. No party girls, no dance clubs, no 3 a.m. lines of coke.
But there he was, on the bus, contemplating his crossover.
The program had worked better than expected; $1.56 million diverted into an offshore account. His affairs were set in order.
“The blame rests squarely with me,” read the memo, delivered to the partner’s conference room at 7:18 a.m., complete with bagels, cream cheese, lox, fresh-squeezed orange juice (the spread had set him back plenty; he considered saving the receipt for tax purposes, and laughed). “I would like to take this opportunity to announce my extended hiatus with the firm.”
Inside the bag were swim trunks and shirt in matching tropical patterns, polarized sunglasses, his first pair of flip-flops - and one first-class ticket to somewhere warm and low-key.

Comments

poefusion said…
I enjoyed reading your flash fiction. Sounds like Fitzsimmons will be having a nice extended vacation. I also liked your haiku. I heard it said once that great minds think alike and I think ours must have crossed paths today as our haiku are very similar. Have a nice day.
RachelRenae said…
I like Fitzsimmons. I love his methodical nature. I like his dry sense of humor.

Great story!
Paul said…
I'm still trying to figure out whether he's a hero to imitate or a coward to avoid. Perhaps that's because your writing turns a cowardly act into something greater.
TC said…
I want to hate him, but can't quite make myself. I mean, he's doing a really crappy thing and yet... I kind of want to laugh and havea drink with him on the beach you know?
quin browne said…
that does it... i'm officially out written.

unless...


we... duel?
Q: No dueling. You still owe me line s four and six of our 6S.

Paul: wasn't trying ot make him likable, just complex.

R&R: glad to have you back out there.

TC: You know, I'd have a drink with him, too
Tumblewords: said…
I'd like to do the same thing. Neat story!
kouji said…
indeed. :) how many people i wonder would like to take that kind of hiatus right now?
susan said…
We've seen this character, Fitzsimmons before, haven't we? Great read as usual, Thom. Thanks. Like the ku, too.
Anonymous said…
Excellent haibun. It had me smiling.

Popular Posts