Sunday Scribblings: Invitation

I wrote this earlier this month and it kinda got lost in the shuffle. But it fits the Sunday Scribblings theme so well, I thought I'd give it some more exposure.

Invitations
“You’re not the man I though you were,” she cried through an expensive silk hanky.
“Excuse me?”
“That’s it, I just can’t take it anymore.”
The train has lurched to a stop. She bends forward, offers me a view of her cleavage and brings her manicured hand across my face, welling tears in my eyes.
She exits the train and for the next two stops, I feel the heat of the the passengers' perturbed stare on my back, the prickly sting of my red-raked cheek.
My walk to the office is consumed with nervous confusion. I get to my desk, finger the breast pocket of my dress shirt. Again.
I pull out the business card, creamy ivory cardstock, embossed with a single telephone number.
On the back, written in a tight, perfect script is one word…
Dinner?

Comments

quin browne said…
still like it... and, yes, i've got that last line now.
Anonymous said…
Yeah, I've not had an invite like that since.. tell you the truth I'm still waiting.
Anonymous said…
This split me off in three different directions. Now I’m consumed with nervous confusion. But I’ll go with b) man takes woman up on dinner invitation, it goes badly, he ends up staring at her initial invitation wondering WTF. Whether I completely missed it, at least this piece did its job—grabbed another brain and made it ride the hamster wheel. I hope you’re happy. I am :-)
Lucy said…
ooh! I found Missalisters comment interesting, I thought it was all a game for someone on the trains benefit, but she really wants to meet him for dinner?!
Okay Thom, Spill the beans!!
I'm glad you're all happy with it. It ends as all of you wish it to end. Imagine it.
Tumblewords: said…
It works for me - descriptive as always...
Anonymous said…
like it and am curious about what happened nxt :)
susan said…
Helluva a way to ask a guy to dinner. lol

You really know how to turn a phrase. Well done, Thom.
TD said…
I agree with missalister. Made me head off in 13 different directions at once. Always enjoy that feeling when reading...
Anonymous said…
Enjoyed this reading. And I hope you get lots of invites:)

Popular Posts