Steppin' out

The general outlook is good.
Especially with storm clouds on the horizon, a shit storm, which I’m going to have to navigate. There is no going around this storm (or storms, depending on your perspective).
“How can you be so happy, with all you’ve got going on?” a buddy asked.
Secret weapon.
Nordic walking.
(And mountain biking.)
“Happy people don’t kill people,” I said.
Every day, I walk seven or so miles at a fast clip, before going to the office.
Endorphins dance across my brain, first thing in the morning.
I’ve done it now for 10 days straight.
Sure, I’ve had to get up early to do so, but what a difference exercise makes.
Sometimes, friends join me.
Most of the time, I am alone. The iPod is set to shuffle and I let my mind wander.
I daydream, mostly. I don’t ponder the problems, nor do I plot solutions. I can walk the river trail loop in 89 minutes; this is my time.
My time to stretch muscles and rest gray matter.
Open yourself up like this – day after day – and nothing looks so bad.
Besides, walk early enough, and the trail is alive.
I’ve seen bobcat, deer, a bald eagle, osprey, otter. The bobcat was amazing. It was young, maybe just weaned, and it was 15 feet in front of me on the trail. My first thought was feral cat, but no tail and ear tufts said bobcat. It didn’t bolt for the underbrush, but kept waking the trail – and turned to see if I was still walking. Finally, it moved silent into the blackberry brambles.
Enough cool things like that happen, and you can’t help being is a good mood.

Comments

Popular Posts