Responsibility

Today’s word is responsibility.
(But that’s the wrong word, I think.)
I don’t know. Yes, there’s a certain duty that I have. But where does that duty begin – and where does it end?
I guess I like this definition the best:

“The moral and forward-looking sense of responsibility is the sense in which one is responsible for achieving (or maintaining) a good result in some matter. The idea is that one is entrusted with achieving or maintaining this outcome, and expected to both have relevant knowledge and skills, and to make a conscientious effort. However, despite one's best efforts, the result may not be achieved.”

In the last several days, people have reached out to me. For an ear, mostly – listening, I’m good at it – and just to know that there’s someone else out there who cares.
Sometimes, that’s all it takes.
There are also those out there who need my help, but have not (and maybe will not, unless I intervene) reached out.
Where is my responsibility?
Do I stand on the sidelines and wait for the call to get in, or do I just wade in?
And what do I do when I get there?
I do know that my responsibility begins and ends with being there for someone. Unless you are willing to fix in yourself what most bothers or ills you, please don’t come to me seeking salvation.
I looked into my dark closet and found salvation for years of arrogance, years of trying to save people.
And know that I cannot save anyone.
Save for myself.
But I will be there. I will listen; I’ll even give an opinion, when one is asked for.
I have excellent knowledge, considerable skill.
But yeah, even my best efforts won’t necessarily make for a successful outcome.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tough questions, ThomG. You can't change or save anyone else. You help when you're asked, in the only ways you can.

You can try reaching out, and I know you have tried in some cases without having someone grasp the hand you've held out to them. You can try again, but that's as far as you can go. That's where any type of responsibility ends, in my humble (and self-saving) opinion.
Anonymous said…
Good grief! Today was brought to you by the word "Responsibility"? What show do you think we're watching, Mr. Rogers?

SHIT! Give us the good stuff... Like motorcycles, and moshpits. What about 33 people dead in Virginia? What does that say about RESPONSIBILITY??? -- Winggirl All Riled Up ;-)

Popular Posts