Welcome to the karass

Karass.
As created by Kurt Vonnegut, it means a group of people linked in a cosmically significant manner, even when superficial linkages are not evident (thanks, Urban Dictionary).
As in, “The moment I met ThomG, I knew he was part of my karess.”
It’s a term that’s come up a couple of times in the last few days.

“Met a guy here this week in S. Taiwan, while interviewing aboriginals, who reminded me of ThomG,” Laowiseass wrote. “He knows himself, doesn't hide much from people he trusts, drives a truck, owns two dogs (plus two pigs & two children) and likes earth-tone pre-white man (Chinese man?) clothing.
“Maybe you belong to his ‘karass,’ to quote Vonnegut.”

I am fully convinced that people are put along your path for a purpose. It is your responsibility to find out why (but not in a manner that drives you nuts, or gives you an ulcer). Delicate balance. Try and find out why, but just let it happen, too. And be open to what they try to teach or impart.

I met a guy last week who I absolutely know is part of my karass.
He’s 61, Vietnam vet, ex-Hell’s Angel who has come to grips with his life. Completely knows who he is, what he wants and what it takes to get there.
Next to him, I am a rank amateur. A person who is a piece of clay in need of molding.

I interviewed him for a story. That lasted about 40 minutes. The next two hours were spent bullshitting.
He’s doing the NorCal AIDS Challenge bike ride, starting Thursday. When he’s done, three days after the ride, he’s going to have a total hip replacement. Meaning he’s going to ride 325 miles on a balky hip just to raise money for a cause he truly believes in (it’s his fourth AIDS ride; he’s raised more than $10,000 total).
“When I get going again, we’re going to ride,” he said. “We’re going to build you a bike, a single-speed, because nothing teaches you to be a better cyclist then a single-speed bike.”

And with it, he’s probably going to teach me to be a better person. In exchange, I get to teach him not to worry so much.
Pretty cool tradeoff.

And my karass grows.

Comments

Popular Posts