Mood people

Mood rings.
If you grew up anywhere near the 70s, you had one.
But if you think about it, everyone has a mood ring.
A circle of people who bring out certain emotions.

Side note: Here’s the color and meanings of the original mood ring (per Wikipedia):
  • Black: Stressed, tense or feeling harried
  • Brown: Tense, nervous, harassed, overworked
  • Grey: Anxious, very nervous, strained
  • Amber: A little Nervous, emotions mixed, unsettled
  • Green: Average reading. Active, not under great stress
  • Blue-green: Emotionally charged, somewhat relaxed
  • Blue: Relaxed, at ease, calm
  • Dark blue/Purple: happy, romantic, passion, in love

When I’m around Wing-gal, I’m blue-green. And she brings out the total smartass in me.

“That looks like food for good digestion,” I said as she unpacked a bran muffin with at least seven different kinds of nuts and seeds in it.
Then she pulled out a bowl of mixed fruit.
“I wouldn’t stray too far from a bathroom,” I said.
The Chancellor, picking up on this, starts in on a story.
“Stop it, no more bowel-movement talk,” she said, laughing “Talk about something different."
When I’m with her, I feel free to let the mischievous side of me come out. It's freedom. I don't know if she would agree, but it's fun to make her laugh so hard - 'cause I get to laugh even harder.

I also have a person who brings out in me some well-placed anger. She engages me, she argues with me and can get me worked up. But not in a rage kinda way. I feel the anger inside of me, we talk it out, and it’s gone.

Another friend can swing me from unsettled and slightly anxious to very relaxed and calm. This is an interesting friendship.

Another friend brings out in me total sadness.
It is as if a funk comes over, the black storm clouds of life, and you’re caught without an umbrella – for the shit-storm that’s coming.
This one’s hard to take.
It is very intense, and it’s hard to get out of.
This person doesn’t even know it.
So why hang out? Why subject myself to what I know will come, the funk and the melancholy?
Because these are valid feelings, too, and to not explore them would be … wrong.
You just have to be careful.

Everyone has this ring, this mood ring. We invite different people into our lives to explore that which is our emotional state. Realizing it makes it so much more fun to hang out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very thought-provoking, ThomG. Very introspective and interesting. Thank you. I'll be thinking more about this.
TheRobRogers said…
Yeah, seriously Thom. That's an interesting thought.
Anonymous said…
That's funny man... all of your friends are going, "OK... which one am I?"
RachelRenae said…
I don't know. Mood rings never worked on me because I have bad circulation, so they always stayed black. :::discouraged by the implications:::

Popular Posts