Sunday Scribblings, "New"

The prompt over at Sunday Scribblings is “new.”

Kicks
His formative years were spent in hand-me-down clothing, cast-offs, shoes plucked from bins and attached together with plastic threads, making trying them on for size almost impossible.
Black canvas shoes, white rubber tips. Never the high-tops he shed tears for, never “real” Chuck Taylors, Keds or even P.F. Flyers with the action wedge built right in to each heel.
He worked hard, scrimped, saved.
And then the day came. The trip to a shoe store, a true fitting with a metal sizer, boxes filled with crinkly white tissue, pristine shoes.
So many to choose from, such exotic names, names of animals.
In the end, he chose the white leather ones with waffle soles and the red “swoosh.”
The salesman asked if he wanted to wear them out of the store. The kid beamed a smile.
And as he walked past a street corner trash bin, he dumped out the pair of frayed black canvas sneakers, the white tissue. He carefully put the lid back on the shoebox, clutched it to his chest – and watched his feet move across the concrete.

Comments

Dee Martin said…
oh Thom, you can just feel his pride shine in this. I see kiddos in the computer lab browsing the brightly colored, ridiculously priced shoes and saving pictures of the favorites that they dream of owning. Kids that haven't got a prayer of owning them for real. Loved this little slice.
susan said…
Thom, both my parents grew up poor especially my dad. When my father talks about wearing sneakers with holes in them in the winter, he's not exaggerating like parents do when they're telling their kids they should be grateful. Your story reminded me how poverty really feels to a child and why the shoes mean so much.

Enjoyed.
Serena Shay said…
Excellent post, ThomG. Things mean so much more to us when we have to work hard to get them!
quin browne said…
so many nice things to say about this, thom... and too tired to type them all.

thanks for this.
Lucy said…
thom .. what can I say...
a girl with such a shoe habit.. I am palpitating and sweating and wishing to run to nordstroms right NOW! Your talk of hightops and sneakers... My thinking... pumps and peekaboo toes!
just LOVE the thrill of new shoes..your clever post (almost)gave me that thrill!
George S Batty said…
Thom - great story and as always very well written. great write
flloreta said…
such easy wonder from a kids eyes :) i like it. the smallest things can mean so much
Maree Jones said…
Don't we all want to re-write the stories of our youth? I was glad the kid got the sneakers!
Stan Ski said…
This could be any kid from our neighbourhood, when I was much younger.
marg said…
I find it hard to believe that if some was nasty on your blog,it would make no difference to you. no one can be that immune to feedback. That's all I want to say
I take all my feedback very seriously. It's the only way one grows as a writer.
Daily Panic said…
I can remember that when I was a kid I would sleep in my new pair of shoes. I can relate to this.
sundaycynce said…
Neat little sliver of life---very real! Nice job, Thom G.
Very touching. I liked the way he clutched the empty shoebox. Don't we in one form or other?

ravens chase out thoughts from the mind
Bobbie said…
SO SWEET! The anticipation build in this...just beautiful and I could feel his pride :) Great writing!
linda may said…
Great read Thom, and you know when I got those platform shoes with the cork soles, those ones the other girls wore and I had longed for,,,,they broke!

Popular Posts