Crows playing 'what's next' in the sun

I watched crows, several of them, cavort in the wind on a sun-filled Sunday afternoon.
They turned circles in a cold breeze, the wind canting their black wings to produce a rocking sensation.
They’d act like they’d land on the top-most branches of winter-bare trees, pumping their wings at the last minute to turn another circle.
I opened the sliding-glass door, heard the pierce of their calls as they circled; I watched their black shadows cross sinister over a snow-covered rooftop from my vantage on the second-floor patio.
Their calls punctured a lazy afternoon; their circles grew tighter, more focused.
Those circles, those penetrating calls, are still with me. Haunting.
Turning circles.
Calling out to the wind.
Waiting for what’s next.

2 comments:

Quin Browne said...

i'm sending you my daughter's email addy.... she filled me in with her thoughts about ravens yesterday.

you two can share. :)

missalister said...

If you’ve watched the crows, then you know
waiting’s just a word for what’s happ’ning
when you’re watching your what’s-nexts forming
as thoughts that are now and will be stepping
stones where you’ll go, like the crows on wind go