A short piece about sleep

Freelance
My mind works nights, freelancing for others.
Not every night mind you, just the nights when I don’t need it myself or often it is those nights when sleep will not come. Those insomnia-filled hours when my mind goes blank – not really, though, since it is working somewhere else – and I lay there, numb to the world.
Yeah, I’m OK with the arrangement. What else am I to do? A mind is a terrible thing to waste – ha ha – and, well, my mind has a mind of its own (OK, OK, I’ll stop; either that, or my mind has threatened a migraine).
I have no idea what my mind is up to at night. It doesn’t share, I don’t ask.
Something to do with nightmares, I assume.
Since I can always tell the nights my mind has been freelancing.
Glimmers - bits and pieces really – the horrors of others flicker faint across my waking brain.
And I feel, at long last, fully rested.

Comments

Noah the Great said…
My mind, too, takes off. I don't mind, though, because I usually come up with interesting things to write about I might have been thinking while my mind was out, mind you.
DJPare said…
I remember hearing a comedian back in the 80s make fun of that line, saying "A mind is a terrible thing. And it must be stopped before it hurts someone."
J.C. Montgomery said…
I don't know why, but I was reminded of this:

Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy.
- Nora Ephron

I am not sure which I fit into - I am thinking a little of both...but then again it is just a thought, and what is a thought, but a dream of the mind while it is awake.
What a great piece! I've never thought about my mind - such as it is - having a life of it's own. Actually, mine wanders off while I'm awake sometimes!

Popular Posts