A question on writing (Fiction in 58, too)

I’m trying to figure out the best time to write – and then do it. Daily.
Used to be, I thought I wrote the best at the first light of day; but I get my inspiration in bed, just drifting off at night.
Let the ideas, the bits and pieces, percolate.
But sometimes I feel bad for not getting up and typing, because some of the ideas get a little foggy.

So, the question is – and I’m serious about some feedback here – when do you write?

Here’s a Fiction in 58 for your trouble:

His Lucky Day

Red leatherette vinyl well-worn with the indentations of sad-sack elbows rims a cigarette-burned bar.
“Shot and a beer, lite.”
“Top shelf?”
“Bar-back – bourbon.”
It’s 9:48 a.m. He thumps a wad of cash on the bar, a $10, three singles and 87 cents change.
In his back pocket, crinkled and forgotten, are tonight’s winning lottery numbers.

Comments

Uncle E said…
Not that I'm a real writer per se, but when I scribble I prefer to do it a little on the late side. Perhaps it's due to the fact I have kids and the only time I can actually think is when they're asleep.
Also, it's fun to see what comes out after you've had two tylenal PM's, right before your head hits the keyboard.
Jon said…
Seems like I find myself writing right on deadline, and only then if I'm getting paid.

Pretty sad when you think about it...
susan said…
Hi Thom,

I hear you. It feels like I'm always writing but focused writing is best for me in the morning. I can be pretty obsessive about my writing when I'm home on the weekend. I prefer to write in the early hours, but because I have to work to eat so I will also spend quite a bit of time writing at night after I've binged on reading either books or online.

I need to come by here even more often because I am quite interested in talking about how we write, why we write and the process of writing.

When you want serious discussion about writing and reading, holla at me. I am finding more folks are interested in being read, but not necessarily talking about the work writing is.
Susan, that's why I'm serous about spending a week in Iowa this summer at the Iowa Writer's Festival. I need to surround myself with writers and talk it all out. And write. And read. And talk some more.
susan said…
Take me with you. I don't drink and I'm veg-head. I'm a really cheap date and a willing designated driver.

I have hopes of attending a Cave Canem conference in the near future, but my job and my work with my youth group make a writer's retreat difficult to pull off.

Can't wait to hear about your trip. In the meantime, you can talk to me about all the craziness that goes on in writers' head.

I know of a few more sites for writers/readers. Let me know if you're interested.

Popular Posts