That's my theory, anyway

“Oooof, uhhh, shit!”
“What’s wrong with you?”
“I feel like an old man, trapped in a young man’s body.”
“You’ve got a young man’s body?”
“OK, a body with a young man potential.”

You know you are getting older when you need to gingerly load your ass into your truck, because your own glut muscles are still screaming at you from Friday’s softball game.
Who knew softball was such a rough-and-tumble sport?
Who knew that at 44, I would have so many aches and pains?
Hell, if I knew it was going to be this bad, I would have treated my body much, much better in my 20s.
There’s a lot that hurts on me. And it is totally my fault.
And makes for a good time to review.
Not the aches and pains part; start with my head and work down to my toe, yep that hurts.
But where I stand with a little challenge to get to 199 pounds by Jan. 1, 2008.
Not very close.
OK, it's not that bad.
I weight 221 pounds.
I may not make it, especially with the holidaze coming up.
Yes, it is my own fault. I let a lot of stress strain my muscles. Too many days when by when I could have been sucking free endorphins, but was curled up in a fetal position in a darkened room trying not to feel sorry for myself (it wasn’t exactly that bad, but writer’s license and all).
I ate a lot of bad shit. And I ate a lot right before bedtime (you want to know how Sumo wrestlers get so huge? They eat massive amounts of food, then go to sleep).
I am here to say I’m back on the wagon. I’m back working out every day. Eating right, passing up the donuts and the bowls of candy at work (even though there are Milk Duds in the bowl and wow, Milk Duds are near impossible to say no to).
I probably won’t make 199. Even in Wyoming's backcountry, expending energy like it was going out of style, my weight began to stabilize at 212.
And that’s all I’m looking for.
The interesting thing about the body is, if you exercise more than you eat, your body will come up with – on its very own – its correct weight. That’s the cool thing here. No diet pills or books or Thighmasters or any of that. Eat right, eat balanced and exercise. And your body will automatically find its correct weight.
That’s my theory, and I’m sticking to it.

Comments

Popular Posts