Marking time

Nov. 18 marked the one-year anniversary of my mom’s death.
I spent it outside, with a long mountain bike ride (Jason, you’ll get your shorts back when I get all the mud out), mowing the lawn, clearing the flowerbeds for winter and a stout hike with Trinity.
I didn’t really realize what the date was, until my neighbor brought it up.
Then I thought about it.
And knew that I am OK.
I still miss her, but you come to grips with the loss and you go on. You do the things that make you happy.
You live your life.
I called my dad, and even he sounded upbeat. My sister and her husband were there, and they were getting ready to go to the cemetery. He talked about missing her, talked about talking about her – but also said he was ready to start moving on.
Then I talked with my sister, who was marking the day at a conference. She said she would be using the date as a starting point to put some thing in her life in focus. She was going to reduce stress in her life, do for herself, starting with Nov. 18.
It seems everyone in my family got through the day, and got through it with plans to continue to heal.
It made me feel even better about where I was in all of this.

Comments

Popular Posts