And I'm going to those places

One of the better lessons I have learned from my current adversity is the number of lives each of us touch every day – and how each life, in turn, touches your own.
That friends and loved ones mean everything.
My hiking buddy, Leon, hooked me up with Backpacker magazine, and it’s Continental Divide Trail Mapping Project.
I read the Backpacker blurb; I applied.
Immediately.
Leon does some work from time to time for Backpacker; mostly detailed trip reports on his favorite Northern California treks (the man is out, under the stars, like 70 nights a year).
Just because, Leon sent a email, on my behalf, to Kris Wagner, Backpacker’s map editor, and Jon Dorn, the magazine’s editor-in-chief.
Here’s the email:
“When I told Thom G, the Outdoors Editor for our Redding newspaper, that the "Nelson Threesome" were applying to participate on the CDT Map Project, he promptly submitted his application, too!
“In that regard, I'd like to encourage you and BACKPACKER to give serious consideration Thom's interest in helping as a volunteer.
“I've personally had the pleasure of backpacking with Thom on numerous occasions. He's a Real Winner to be with whether it's in camp or out fishing! I've observed, too, that his buddies are more than OK with his cooking - he's even written several feature articles on the subject for his Outdoors section in the Redding newspaper.
“And speaking of writing, Thom might not have included on his application info concerning his having received quite a few awards from the Outdoors Writers of America Association, ranging from first place to first honorable mention. There's no doubt he'd be good for a story or a series on BACKPACKER's noble plans to create the much-needed map for the CDT!
“Thanks for taking time to read this, Kris. It's been my pleasure to put in a Good Word for Thom!”
I’m in.
I’m totally part of the CDT project.
Next year, I will be part of the grand plan, 200 volunteers strong, to hike, map and photograph all 3,100 miles of the CDT.
To be part of history.
To make history.
Here’s Kris’ reply:
“Leon: You’re the best. Consider the three of you in. You get the greenlight from me and Jon! We’re still hashing out details, and we’ll inform you as soon as we know more, thanks, Kris.”
I am happy.
I am humbled.
Oh! The Places You'll Go!

Comments

Steve said…
Look forward to hearing about this adventure!
Anonymous said…
I just happened upon your blog while searching for the Continential Divide. That is awesome that you've gotten in on this mapping adventure. Any tips on how I could become volunteer too? In 2003 my father and I hiked the Appalachian Trail (2172 miles from Georgia to Maine). It was the adventure of a life-time. We'd love to be involved in the mapping of the Divide Trail to give everyone the opportunity to experience a major hike. Drop me a line:
naomi.blagdon@gmail.com

Popular Posts