Wednesday's Three Word Wednesday

The words over at Three Word Wednesday are eclipse, languish and velocity. I started with bits of lyrics from Richard Hell, who played with Television, The Heartbreakers and Richard Hell & The Voidoids back in the day.

Voidoid

When it’s all said and done, when my life has reached its terminal velocity and I’d sucked in that last, sweet breath, my wish is to have Richard Hell’s name etched onto my headstone.
I mean, it really was Richard who taught me everything I needed to know in life:
“I belong to the blank generation and I can take it or leave it each time.”
“But he ain't for sale unless you add the kitchen sink.”
“Love comes in spurts (it always hurts).”
Really, I owe Richard my life, man.
Languishing in an adolescent prison, pimply-faced and alone, all it took was Richard’s thumping bass and twangy voice to lift me past the detritus of a misspent youth and into something more. Dangerous.
The safety pins and the dark denim, leather boots and jackets. The hair, spiky and unwashed.
A freedom, a soaring black heart, eclipsed only by the stares of those who once pushed me into lockers but kept a minimum safe distance after the change.
Beautiful, man.
I was one of the lucky ones, too.
I got out of the scene just as the roller-coaster crested the hill and dropped into oblivion. Back before everyone started dropping from the Big H, like Sid Vicious and Johnny Thunders.
I got clean. Got an education. Covered up the tats and got a job, a wife, kids.
Still, man, the life haunts me. Just a little. Past glory fades.
You get old.
Just like the doctor who grabbed my throat and yelled, “God’s consolation prize!”
I belong to the blank generation.
I can take it or leave it each time.

Comments

maglomaniac said…
Its so strange yet so true how some things change or rather deviate and put back our life in track.
And thats why they say-influences do matter.
And yes past does haunt.But now thats all it can do-haunt,nothing more than that.

~Harsha
anthonynorth said…
An important message in this. It makes me smile to see Johnny Rotten these days - a typical eccentric Englishman.
Daily Panic said…
what I like about this piece is that it is a true reflection of the past and the emotions that always last no matter what happens in life. Take it or leave it.
Great!
The words today are hard- I'm going to try to write but I can't stop laughing at the FB comments - you really do have some great friends. Favorite of the the day- "You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan?"

this had me rolling! Laugh Live and Love!
Mark said…
There are times I feel much the same. Except the Richard Hell thing. I didn't hear of him until much later.

But, I can relate...
Tumblewords: said…
This piece resonates - straight to the marrow.
Anonymous said…
WOW. Have I told you today that I love you?

http://wordvamp.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/an-offering-for-death/
Anonymous said…
WOW. Have I told you today that I love you?

http://wordvamp.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/an-offering-for-death/
Jeeves said…
Very nice one. These lines i just love

I belong to the blank generation.
I can take it or leave it each time.
Ann (bunnygirl) said…
Past glory fades, but it fades for us all. Life is just one big wheel and we never lose without gaining, if we've got the wisdom to see.
Bernard said…
I have to admit I don't get it nearly as much as the other commenters. I liked it, and I liked the writing; I just don't 'get' a lot of it.
Blank generation rings so true..

let my poemlette take you on
Bernard, I guess it would be a search for what excites you, takes you to the next level. I was listening to Richard Hell and the idea blossomed into what happens when someone fixates on a song, an artist, a celebrity to help them grow.
Jane Doe said…
A very thoughtful and well written piece Thom. I hope that you are doing well.

Have a wonderful day,

Jane
lissa said…
determination - that's a word that comes to mind when I read this piece, you seem to have a determination to become a better person and gain the strength to carry on

I think music and the world around us influence us more than we know and it's not always evident but is there
Anonymous said…
I read something somewhere that said a person's taste in music is governed by the same part of the brain that determines right from wrong, hence the extremely opinionated nature of all true music lovers everywhere. Considering this, I don't find it hard to believe that music has a very distinct and powerful influence on our lives, whether we're aware of it or not. I certainly find it impossible to live without music... and it has helped me through some very dark times, too.
The Moment Before Impact

Popular Posts