Wednesday's Three Word Wednesday

The words over at Three Word Wednesday are heartache, jangle and reckless. Sometimes, it’s fun to do some timed writing, just see what comes out. This was the result of 30 somewhat tortured minutes.

Heartache
Plunging temperatures leave a coating of frost across the fields of my parent’s farm. It’s past midnight and the harvest moon still hangs brilliant in the sky and blots out the Milky Way that usually speckles so brightly this far out of town.
I stand in the chill, reckless without a jacket, and watch my hot breath turn to short-lived clouds.
All is quiet in the world.
And then I hear it, a soft, metallic jangle in the distance.
I creep through the tangled windbreak to a pasture that rises to a hilly peak behind the house. There’s a trail of footprints stamped into the frost, tiny and barefoot.
I follow and at the apex of the hill stands a girl, her breath clouds escaping in hiccupy, short bursts. She’s quietly sobbing, and as she hugs her arms to her chest, a tangle of silver bracelets around her thin wrists clatter softly.
She wears a willowy white nightgown that shimmers in the moonlight.
I go to her.
She does not shy away at my presence.
I blow on my fists to warm them, then offer up my hands to her. She entwines her fingers within mine, and as she puts a tear-streaked cheek on my shoulder, a gasp escapes her lips.
And my heart soars on the hope that I’ve settled whatever heartache that’s befallen her.

Comments

anthonynorth said…
A frosty beginning with a hint of it warming up towards the end. Excellently done.
Rachael Cassidy said…
oooh I really really like this one.
Cricket said…
I do not believe I have ever written anything in its entirity in 30 minutes! well done!
I should amend that I wrote for 30 minutes. Then edited for a time after that.
mark said…
A heartwarming prologue. Like many of your pieces, I am left wondering what happens next.

About the highest compliment a writer of fiction can have, I suppose.
Anonymous said…
Enjoyed the way you painted the night "harvest moon still hangs brilliant in the sky and blots out the Milky Way that usually speckles so brightly "...Beautiful.
Really nice take on the prompt...urges you to read on.
Sherri B. said…
This was so visual...I felt like I was there. You have me intrigued to know more! Awesome read.
Starkly cold and beautiful, the night. Leading into anxiety for helpless despair. In the end, endearing heartwarmth. I love the humanity of this.

I've been away for too long, Thom. But I do want to share my condolences on the loss of your father. I wholly empathize your loss.
Tumblewords: said…
Positively fine - I, too, hope you're settled her heartache. Nice work, as always.
Thank you...the softer side of Thomas!

b

http://torristravels.blogspot.com/2009/10/habit-of-thinking.html
Zouxzoux said…
Ah, tenderness. An endearing quality ~ I love this.
Pblacksaw said…
I vote excellent!
Patsy
Anya Padyam said…
That was a nice one!:)

A great piece (wow, in 30 mins!!!)
Ann (bunnygirl) said…
Beautiful imagery. You put the words together in lovely ways tonight!
Jeeves said…
Nice one
PS the Pratsie said…
This was so warm !!! heart warming i eman :D
lissa said…
wonderful read, I like your choice of words and I like "breath as short-live clouds", I think it's a hopeful piece, these two individual can help each other face their heartaches
~willow~ said…
This was breathtaking! I love the optimistic caring person you've captured here. btw I was ~sure~ you were going to make the willowy girl a sidhe/fairy, and was pleasantly surprised to find out otherwise.
Anonymous said…
what a nice warm ending to the chilly night. Actually "aww" 'd outloud at the end! -Meg
illyria taylor said…
well crafted. Sorry it was 30 mins of torture for you, I struggled with this one too.
So the suspense about this little girl is killing me!
Donna said…
"I blow on my fists to warm them, then offer up my hands to her."

I love the line, the thought behind the line and the piece.

Wonderful.

Popular Posts