We're mighty proud of this

I've said it before, but Q and I met online, kindred souls tied by writing. She's the one that first write together, building one sentence on top of another - we're alternate - for a Six Sentences, which Rob published last year.
She asked me about it recently, so she can put it up on her blog, and I thought, "Hey, it's never been published on The Tension."
I'm not going to tell you who started, or finished. We each wrote three sentences. Hope you like it:

Internal Combustion

by Thom Gabrukiewicz and Quin Browne

I do not sleep; there is no shut-eye, no tuck-you-in, sweet dreams, don't let the bedbugs bite – because this is the brand of insomnia that can't be touched with valerian root, melatonin, Lunesta, Xanax, Vicodin, Valium (I know, since I've tried every alternative, in every combination).
Nighttime is killing me, so, I counterattack by killing time — driving endlessly with no radio, only the noise of the wind slipping through the cracked window, the hiss of the tires on the macadam road's frosting of rain and oil and my suddenly hypersensitive hearing that is causing the sound of my heart and the blinking of my grit-filled eyelids to join the Chevy's orchestra in a perfect rhythmic counter-point in my head.
It's this hippy-hop thump-thump, blink-blink that catches in my throat, catches up; the tears start as wells in my eyes and turn into a cascading fury that makes oncoming headlights stretch light like florescent taffy.
There should be a space, a place... a time for all of this to have rhyme and reason in my world, yet, that space, that place, that... time, are as lost to me as my sense of reality is right now.
The two-lane blacktop is dark and desolate; I flick the lights off and join the darkness – and with seething, teeth-clenched rage, stand on the brake pedal with both feet and squeal to a lurching stop.
I imagined it was just like this for Paul, that night, the decision to drive for miles, speed increasing, turning the lights off as he hit the curve - and putting my head on the steering wheel, I finally gave myself over to the rage of my grief.

Comments

Wow, heavy man. Intense and maybe only able to be put into words a sentence at a time or you could fal into that abyss, too. I wonder if a book could be written this way...a lifetime's work
Apron Man said…
Yikes, my first time visiting, and this is what I get? Cool stuff. I like the idea of role reversal. A friend of mine and I tried that once, came out creepy. This is some good stuff, man.
Megha said…
Don't know what Insomnia hits like, I have a different problem, too much sleep. :(

Nice post, as usual :)
Cathryn said…
This is good stuff. It evokes strong mood and emotion.
Large Marge said…
Right on! Love it!
Dee Martin said…
looks like your writing styles and muse were a good fit. Interesting concept and the results are very dramatic.

Popular Posts