Happy Fun Day (mostly)

There it was, just to the right of center on the busiest walking/running/cycling trail in town: A Gigantor-sized pile of bear shit.
I nearly doubled back to snap a picture of its blackberry filled goodness; but then I thought, "Why would the world want to see a big pile of shit?"
Even if it just goes to prove that the natural world is a lot closer to the urban world; much more than most people think about.

I am beginning to be addicted. To exercise.
Strap a 40-plus-pound backpack to your back and hike at least 10 miles a day, every day, for six straight days, and the body begins to crave the pain, crave the endorphins that come.
"People with happy endorphins play nice with others," a hiking buddy said. "People with happy endorphins don't kill people."
True, true.
I was in the saddle by 9 a.m. Sunday. I rolled back into my driveway at about a quarter to 1 (and made myself a tasty chocolate/banana/peanut butter protein shake).
Time stopped (OK, it marched on, but I didn't notice).
I just kept rolling, further and further on roads and trails so familiar. Until I saw the knobby treadmarks in the dust that lead to a little slice of singletrack heaven. A path less traveled and all that.
Tunes in my ears and the satisfying crunch of rubber on rock. The path dusty and slick in spots - yeah, I walked this rock section - but didn't fall once. OK, I did nearly manage to rip my thumb off, but that was it. I came around a tight curve, the trail bent around a pine, and I reached out and jammed my thumb against the pine. Whoops.
And I know what you're saying now; "Say, ThomG, isn't that the $3,999 Trek Project One custom Liquid Fuel EX mountain bike you won in a raffle? The one that is just a wee bit too small for your fat ass? The one that you're selling for $2,500 out the door?"
Why, yes it is. Which goes to show you just how much of a lazy S.O.B. I really am. I got the flatted tube out of my Giant's tire, and found that I didn't have another tube. Not in my pack; not on a garage shelf. Buying new tubes meant a trip to the bike shop. Conversation (remember, I'm currently in selfish bastard mode). And then I realized, "Shit, I have a whole 'nuther bike right there."
Except, I have this break-it-and-buy-it ride mentality when I'm on the Trek. I baby the durn thing. Since, hey, it is for sale and all (ridden on dirt twice, that's it; I'm stopping by the shop today for tubes).

As for the rest of my Sunday, it was a blur of things that needed to be done, crisis' that cropped up and finally the disappointment of a friend who I had promised dinner, but rescinded (so I could finish a proposal I'd promised to someone else).
By the time I went to bed, tired quads and all, I kinda wished I was back on the saddle. Sucking up good endorphins.

Comments

RachelRenae said…
I love those endorphins. I wish I were carrying my pack right now instead of sitting at this damn desk.

Ride on!
Anonymous said…
You are looking healthy... glad to hear you have started to get the addiction again.
Anonymous said…
My mountain bike is gathering dust in a corner - you make me feel guilty:)
Sarah, Guilty in a good way, right? Saddle time is good time.

Popular Posts