A new Six Sentence - Friday Night

My friend, Rob McEvily, hosts a blog for writers called Six Sentences (6S).


“It’s simple. Just write six sentences. Say anything you like. Six Sentences uses a paragraph format. Six consecutive sentences. No poems, no bullets. Be unconventional if using dialogue. Again, say anything you like, and tell a friend. Peace.”


The last time I penned a 6S was February 20, 2011. So, here’s a new one: 


Friday Night
We were singing, the both of us, mostly show tunes and we were definitely off-key and off-kilter. There was no musical accompaniment, no Spotify or TV as backup, just my baritone to your soprano in all of its wobbly goodness. The vodka bottle was three-fifths gone, and the candlelight made kinetic shadow puppets against the walls as we danced and wailed through “Anything You Can Do” from Annie Get Your Gun. I forgot the words along about the partridge and the cartridge line, but you just kept right on singing -  and dancing in tight concentric circles. You stopped, all of a sudden, and yelled at the top of your lungs, “Martinis are lubricants for the rich - and we must eat the rich;” and then in a soft, giggly whisper, “A screwdriver, por favor, a proper drink for a lady of my stature.” And I knew right then that I loved you even more than I had just moments before. 

Comments

Popular Posts