Good deeds

We here at Surface Tension are not all about angst and mayhem.
There are good words to be had here.
Like the good thing that happened last weekend, where more than 3,000 people participated in the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life in our fair city. There were 111 teams who walked and ran laps around a quarter-mile track to show support for those battling cancer – and those who had lost their lives to the disease.
I did 158 laps.
That’s 39 miles.
And that’s nothing. Carl, a member of my Redding Mountain Biking team, walked 50 miles (to do so, he stayed up for more than 24 hours).
In all, more than $423,000 was raised (RMB raised $9,000 on their own).
Carl and I raised another $200, which will stay in town to help buy wigs for cancer patients through the ACS wig program, when we shaved our head on stage.
We decided, since it was coming off, we’d color our hair. Actually, we bleached it. It was strange.
I was at the event for 26 hours. I slept like two. It was a very moving experience.
I did it for my mom.
I think she would have been proud.

Comments

Popular Posts