What's wrong with this picture?

An Americano is shots of espresso (usually four) to which hot water has been added.
How do you fuck something up like that?
I admit it, I am a coffee snob; since I've been here, I have refused to drink the HyVee (it's a Midwestern grocery chain) standard swill my dad drinks.
I turn, instead, to the little Starbucks kiosk that's also in the store.
Granted, I hate Starbucks too, but there is no other option for coffee here. There is no mom-and-pop shop.
So I order my regular, a large Americano.
And I've been disappointed each and every time.
The problem is twofold; first, they've got people working the machine who should be stocking the produce aisle; second, there's probably a Starbucks-mandated single serving of espresso that the servers can't go over without squeezing some of the profit margin out of my very expensive $2.50 coffee.
These Americano's taste like they've taken house coffee - and added hot water to it. Weak. Bleak.
Today, I tried an extra shot in my vente Americano (55 cents extra). It still wasn't as good as the gals at Breaking New Grounds in Redding can do with a 20-ounce Americano.
So, tomorrow, I'm going all-out. I'm getting a grande house coffee - and having them put three shots of espresso in it.
It'll cost me in excess of $3, and they'll look at me funny, but at least it'll taste like coffee.

Comments

Popular Posts