Wednesday's Three Word Wednesday

The words over at Three Word Wednesday are give, obvious and thanks.

Thanks

I go down to dinner, expecting to suffer through another meal where my parents mine me for information about my day while they ignore one another.
Instead, I hear laughter and a low chattering.
Around the table are six children, a bit younger than I, piling their plates high with one of mom’s overblown feasts.
Each has a different skin color than our own and each jabbers in a language I don’t understand.
“What’s this?” I ask.
“We’re celebrating,” dad says, pretending to walk turkey legs across the table and onto a plate of a little dark-skinned girl with a red dot between her eyebrows and a boy with black hair and pale skin that’s kinda yellow.
I sit and the boy next to me tugs on my shirtsleeve. His hair is a tight weave of curls and his skin the color of dark roast coffee. His smile is a picket fence of teeth, mostly missing. He’s trying to pass me a heaping bowl of mashed potatoes.
I roll my eyes and get up to leave.
My mother walks behind me and puts her hands on my shoulders.
“I think it’s obvious that he wants you to join us and give thanks,” she says, pressing gently. “You could at least try and be civil.”
The boy laughs and hands me the potatoes, from which I plop a mound and make a reservoir with the spoon, to hold mom’s gravy, which is in the hands of a brown-skinned girl, her dark hair woven into pigtails.

14 comments:

Daily Panic said...

A crowded table was a surprise!
Joy to you for thanksgiving!

anthonynorth said...

That's certainly one big meal.

Sepiru Chris said...

Dear Thom,

I was considering lambasting you for the words this week... and then I come and see what a good job can be done with them.

Your piece, I note, is quite surreal this week.

I have read it a few times and keep wondering what I have been smoking.

Where did these kids come? Are they staying? For how long? Is anyone looking for them?

I have no idea.

But you have certainly taken me into the mind of a young man in, I think, his early teens.

And, as I recall, you have it all right. As always.

You are quite the wordsmith, and your drystone walls of words hold and draw the eye onwards to their full length, including all the bits that you haven't described.

It is a pleasure, Thom, to read your work.

Even if I had to shake my head at the words. Give obvious thanks. Sheesh.

Well, I will. Give obvious thanks.

Thank you. Explicitly. For the community you maintain every week, and for all the work that you do to find words and share them as the prompts. And for the fact that every week not only do you give us the words, but you lead by example and comment on everybody's submission to 3WW.

You work hard, Thom. And, in your craft of wordsmithing, it shows.

Tschuess,
Chris

gautami tripathy said...

ThomG, my class is exactly like this. All are Indians but with different religions, cultures, colours and skin tones. Yet united in so many ways.

Love and friendship is foremost.

ah, those wee hours

MichaelO said...

This scene is completely fluid. There are so many shifting undercurrents and no real point of reference. That said, the message is clear and contained. Just like mom's gravy in a potato reservoir.

Enjoy the holiday, Thom. And thanks for giving life to 3WW.

Anonymous said...

Hi Thom,

I echo the words of Chris to a T (for Thom,of course).

I think it's time for an opus.

What is the opus?

maintain radio contact. . .

pegjet said...

I just want a drink of what you're having. And maybe, pass the potatoes, please. Thank you.

Ah Thom. An enjoyable, feel-good read, with your trademark sensory details that plop the reader into the scene.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

A surreal little Thanksgiving. But sharing is a better way to live than ignoring not just the world, but the people at your own table.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

gs batty said...

nice story for a great holiday. Happy Thanksgiving to your and your loved ones.

Shadowplay said...

I want to echo the pleasure of reading something that had my mouth watering, my eyes swivelling to look at each child, my shoulders tingling from a squeeze, and my mind wondering where all this was going. Or was it going anywhere at all?

Thank you Thom for a great read this Thanksgiving morn!

swapnap said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

This one was indeed a big surprise meal, loved the way you used "picket fence of teeth"...imagination so vivid shows how good you write. Well, i guess the red spot between her brows meant "bindi" a tradition common here in India.

Jane Doe said...

A great Thanksgiving tale. I hope yours was wonderful.

one more believer said...

hello thommyg... cannot help but laugh thinking of robin williams' movie pan at table eating everything and seeing nothing!!!.. and then thrs family neurosis intertwined with an appetite.. ohhh, how i long for those miserable memorable days!!!

Dee Martin said...

Loved this. Now I'm left wondering why he rolled his eyes and tried to leave the table. What isn't said is as interesting as what is.