Wednesday's Three Word Wednesday

The words over at Three Word Wednesday are arresting, rhythmic and wicked.

Suburban Noire
I wake in a nondescript room and by the looks through the gloom, I've come to in a cheap motel near the airport.
My hand is on fire.
The pinkie finger on my right hand is missing at the second knuckle; the stump has been cauterized by something hot, metallic.
The steel bracelet of a handcuff circles my left wrist, the other bracelet dangles open like a fishhook.
Spread across the other double bed is a arresting brunette, her hair swept over her face, her feet dangle off the bed. Crimson lipstick is smudged like a bruise across one cheek.
I put two fingers to her neck, breath a sigh of relief when I find the rhythmic thump of a pulse.
Slumped in the shoddy motel chair is a body of a man. He’s dressed in a cheap, shiny suit, a wicked, ragged hole open at the temple. Dried blood makes a Rorschach pattern across the drapes, and all I can see in it is trouble.
There’s no need to check for a pulse, this guy’s 86’ed.
The babe on the bed stirs, arches her back, rakes slim fingers through the tangle of hair.
“Sergei,” she purrs. “Baby, come back to bed.”
My name is not Sergei.
I wake with a nudge, in bed with a paperback novel spread across my chest.
“Baby,” my wife says, “you were snoring again.”

17 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Some dreams are just like that. Nicely done.

gigidiaz said...

I have creepy dreams like that too. If you have time, check out my most recent one.

http://gigidiaz.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/no-meat-before-bed/

I wonder how you got your pinky cut off though...
Is there something in the story that I missed?

Megha said...

A babe and a dead body...what a combination. Interesting!!

lissa said...

it was a bit creepy for me but I guess I such a softy, great ending though

andy said...

Love it, but glad it was only a dream, 'cos there'd have been hell to pay!!

Zouxzoux said...

Sounds like the beginnings of a great book. Very, very intriguing!

Kristy Worden said...

I hate to repeat myself, but if you're not writing a novel, you are wasting a gift. Thoroughly enjoyed...

Tumblewords: said...

Topnotch! I want to read more and yet I'm thoroughly satisfied with the words you wrote! Wonderful..,

Richard Wells said...

Walter Mitty in a nasty mood. Love, love the Rorshach line.

Jeeves said...

Why didnt you continue to dream. Very well written.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Sounds like that dream was just a bit too exciting. Good thing he woke up.

AD said...

this is brilliant

My 3WW

quin browne said...

i actually laughed out loud on this.

MichaelO said...

Thom, that was perfect! The dream trigger is so obvious with the novel laying there. Very well done.

Lucy said...

GREAT!! never expected it to be a dream..
I dream in full blown living color with mUCH drama and dead people lying around too! I get so upset when someone wakes me and I don't get to tie up the story I am dreaming!
nice thom!

strattonm said...

This was fun. Really fun stuff to read. Enjoy flash fiction and this was lots of fun to read.

gautami tripathy said...

Alas! You woke up from that dream. I was waiting for more!